Saturday, February 14, 2009

All you need is love

Today I saw a heart running down the street. Not even kidding - there was a man running down the street wearing a huge felt cut-out of a heart. At first I thought it was just the Valentine's Day spirit hitting him and him choosing to react in whatever way he felt best - for some, it's chocolate and champagne, for others, running down the street dressed as a heart. I was wrong. There was, it appears, some kind of Valentine's Day race/run. Maybe for a cause, maybe for love - but it was definitely fun for me. Walking down Beacon Street, I was passed by many a pink-clothed runner - one wearing lingerie over her running gear, some in pink gaudy sparkles, Thing 1 and Thing 2, and some people just generally decked out for V-day.Align Left
Wearing his heart on his sleeve, err, body...

I wonder what they were running for, though. As we passed the Holiday Inn, there was some table handing out drinks to the runners as they ran by, but there was no mention of a cause. Maybe their cause was love? I haven't heard of a run for love, yet. I think that would be original. There's a run/walk/jog/scoot for every other cause, which is great, but honestly kind of overwhelming. Any weekend, every weekend you can walk for a cause. They've sort of lost their novelty. Not like people shouldn’t be out actively pursuing cures for every disease, I think it’s great, but I feel like walks are kind of overdone now. They’ve saturated the market, in a sense. It’s much more powerful, more effective, I would think, to have a few large-scale walks every year, the way Race for the Cure was. Less is more, my friends. That being said, don’t stop looking for cures, don’t stop with the social action – just be creative about it. I kind of enjoy coming across costumed runners on the street – it’s like Comm. Ave running guy, only better!

No comments:

Post a Comment