Monday, February 16, 2009

Tell me something good

I saw an RV driving down Beacon Street today on my way home. I’m pretty sure it was the first RV I’ve seen in Boston and it reminded me of the RV of my childhood. Not that I ever actually had one, even though I kind of really wanted one - there was just something that seemed so cool about them. Not a popular kind of cool, more like cool in the sense that you could travel around with everything you own. Which is what I try to do every time I fly, and I always fail epically. But my friend’s neighbors had an RV that was always parked in their front yard. In the early days of our friendship, this was a marker of where to turn to go to our house. That was in the fifth grade. Ten years later, it’s still in the same spot. I don’t need it to find her house anymore, but it’s kind of comforting that it’s still there. And I’m pretty sure it hasn’t moved, like I don’t think I’ve ever not seen it there.

I did find, upon coming home in December, that there was a new addition to my neighborhood – a school bus. Literally just sitting in my neighbor’s yard. I don’t know what they could be possibly using it for (or even if they’re using it for anything, maybe they just wanted a bus?), but it’s pretty awesome in a weird, quirky kind of way. I feel like that’s something you lose living in the city because you don’t have a yard to put funky things in. I think I’d settle for an apartment, though, and I could put whatever quirky tchotchkes on display in the living room. Not that I don’t love my current room in my adorable brownstone, but living in what’s still effectively a dorm is kind of drab and tragic. No matter how much you put on the walls (and we have a lot), it’s still a dorm room, despite the pretty fireplace/mantle. On the bright side, housing starts in March – so I’m crossing my fingers for something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment