Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hey, cupcake

Cupcakes are taking over the world. Not in a dangerous, morally bankrupt kind of way, just in the way that they're now everywhere. If I didn't love them, I'd think it was entirely ridiculous. Yesterday my friends and I ordered cupcakes from Cold Stone for Valentine's Day. They look awesome














but still... cupcakes filled with ice cream? Because ice cream cake (while awesome) wasn't enough - let's make them smaller, cuter and more irresistible. Thanks, Cold Stone. Apparently they're only available until mid-March, but if they do well I'm seeing a spin-off store in the future... Cold Cake? Cold Oven? I don't know. If the cupcake craze continues, I'm sure its spin-off will go over better than when Joey tried to replace Friends. The Cupcake Activist approves... do you?

Regardless, cupcakes are everywhere. From Sweet, the adorable cupcakery around the corner from me, to the cupcake bouquets I see advertised on passing buses, they're actually inescapable. It seems sudden - like they were creeping up... last year, cupcakes were a dessert occasionally found in the dining hall, obsessed over by a few friends and a novel concept store in Somerville. Now they've got their own stores everywhere, "make your own cupcake" night is always going on in some dining hall, and they're plastered all over. They had no marketing strategy, no political campaign, and the most evil thing they've done is add a few hundred calories to people's diets. And now they're sitting on top of the world, fluffy and sweet as always. Maybe it should serve as a lesson to the Brain: you don't have to be an evil genius to take over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment