Thursday, January 1, 2009

So this is the new year...

Well, welcome to 2009! I rang in the new year in style - with good friends, new friends, homemade dinner, caviar and champagne. Classy, you know. And after a little sleep last night and significantly more sleep this afternoon, I've got positive thoughts and high hopes for this year. 2008 was good to me, excuse the nostalgia. I finished my freshman year of college, got contacts, started new relationships and ended some old ones, spent my last summer at Ramah Nyack, saw a few good concerts and did more shopping than I probably should have. This year looks full of opportunities, cliche as that sounds, and I really do look forward to it.
Ever since I saw them live my freshman year of high school, around this time I think of Death Cab fir Cutie's song "The New Year." Time appropriate and fitting, I suppose. There's a stanza that goes
I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding the map. No more airplanes or speedtrains or freeways, there'd be no distance that could hold us back.
I think that that's, in a sense, my feelings for this year. In the past, I thought of it because a lot of my close friends, from camp and USY, lived further away. Now it's more about not being held back, not overthinking things - doing what I want this year. And it's going to be good. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment